Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sad day

Warning:  This is a sad post.  Don't say you weren't warned.

We went to visit my mom this weekend.  We were supposed to be babysitting my cousin's boys (ages 2 years and almost 4 months).  For one night.  Which for them means all day, all night and all day the next day.  Of course, that's a little excessive, but we expect it and so we plan for.  Anyway, on Thursday, my cousin called my mom and asked if we would mind keeping them all weekend, because they wanted to go to the beach with my cousin's dad.  

I don't even know why they had kids...they just dump them off with somebody else all the time.  I cuddled the little one so much and played with the older one so much, and I didn't want to leave them when it was time for us to leave.  Even now many hours later I feel a little empty without my little wiggly worm.  My little Yertle the Turtle.  :(  I don't know how you can go off and leave your own babies with some random family member just about every single weekend.  I totally wish that I could kidnap them.  Even though they are a mess.  

Sadder...  When we got home this afternoon, one of the kittens that has been hanging around our house had been run over.  So we buried him/her.  Which made me extra sad because today is the one year anniversary of my dad's funeral.  Then TM was leaving to go to work and he ran over another one of the kittens.  Bless his heart...I'm not sure I've ever seen him so upset.  So we buried two kittens today.  :(

There are two more kittens and the mom still hanging around our house.  I'm not sure if the momma kitty belongs to someone.  I was looking at a feral cat spay/neuter program, which I'm contemplating for these kitties.  I just don't know.  I would consider taking in the kittens, but I don't think momma kitty will ever be okay indoors.  She's very skittish and I don't think she would adjust, especially since we already have Mr. Lou.  At any rate, the kittens are too young to do anything with just yet, so I guess I'll just keep feeding them for now and keeping an eye on them.  I'm hoping they'll start hanging out under our deck instead of under TM's truck.  

Good!  That was as cathartic as I was hoping it would be.  Having the kids this weekend was nice.  It kept my mom and I busy enough that the anniversary of my dad's death wasn't too difficult.  And now I've got the kitten thing off my chest and I feel better.  I feel better period.  More on that later!

No comments: