Friday, August 8, 2008

Mentoring note

In case you PI types aren't aware, your students don't want to have a serious heart to heart with you about their career and future while trying to load 84 samples onto a gel.  I'll even go so far as to say that your students don't want to discuss their career plans while they're trying to do lab work AT ALL!  

Also, while I'm at it, don't ask me if I can handle doing all the experiments I just told you I was going to do.  Especially don't do it in that condescending there's-no-way-in-hell tone of voice.  If I couldn't handle it, I'd tell you.  I'm apparently way better at this than you seem to think I am.  

Finally, don't ask me why I did an experiment that was your idea and that I bluntly told you I thought was stupid.  

That's not all, but I'll take a deep breath and let the rest go for now.  :)

No comments: