Thursday, March 20, 2008

A new baby! And other lab musings...

Congrats to Post-doc Friend on the birth of a baby girl!  This is an especially sweet occasion because of previous fertility issues and miscarriages.  It feels really good to see her so happy after all that she’s been through over the past year or so.  Hopefully we’ll get to see the little one today!  (I tried to knit some booties, but didn’t check my gauge, so I ended up with not so cute booties that would fit Bigfoot Baby.  Oh well.)

In other news, I’m sitting here collecting my first crappy data this week.  I had been on a roll since late last week, generating awesome data out the wazoo.  Of course, we all knew it would end.  Life’s just like that. 

I finally got around to reviewing Post-doc guy’s paper last night.  It sucks.  Okay, that’s not entirely true.  The data is interesting.  Let’s just say that brevity and organization are not his strengths.  Crazy man wants to submit it to a fairly high tier journal, but I don’t think that’s going to fly.  I understand why he thinks it’s so interesting and splashy enough to be accepted there.  On the other hand, it’s directly related to my favorite project and I was bored to tears.  If I had been reading the paper after it’s published, it would be one of those where I make it through a paragraph or so of the intro and then resort to just looking at the figures and legends.  I guess you could say the text didn’t add much.  And that’s not good. 

Now back to the data collection already in progress.

No comments: