Monday, April 7, 2008

Thoughts on an absurd subpoena

I don’t even know where to start addressing this whole issue of the subpoena that’s been issued to Kathleen Seidel and her Neurodiversity blog.  The whole thing is just so absurd I don’t even know how to digest it.  I’ve been letting it marinate and knock around in my brain for a few days, and I still don’t know what to say. 

I’m just flabbergasted.  I’m shocked at the fact that someone that is clearly unrelated to the case at hand was issued a subpoena at all.  I’m astounded at the impressively broad nature of the subpoena.  I’m dumbfounded at the sheer volume of information that Kathleen would have to submit if this subpoena were upheld.  Seriously, how many truckloads? 

And what about all the other bloggers listed on the subpoena?  If everything relating to Kathleen’s website is required, why not everything produced by every blog and website she’s ever linked to?  Why not just do a google search and subpoena everybody that’s ever written the word autism?

I have no doubt that the subpoena will be squashed.  However, the fact of its very existence is absurd to an infinite degree.  I hope that this can be resolved quickly, and with minimal expense to Kathleen.  (And I hope that scumbag of a lawyer gets kicked in the face!)

(See also Orac's open letter to Kirby and Olmstead at Respectful Insolence and Liz's list of blog entries about this issue.)

1 comment:

Liz Ditz said...

Thanks for commenting on the absurd Seidel subpoena.

I am one of the 100+ bloggers mentioned in item 5 of the subpoena.

I am keeping a running list of responses to the Seidel subpoena at I Speak of Dreams. I've added your blog.